A bomb threat can be received by telephone, note, letter or email, text message, or in person. All bomb threats must be taken seriously and handled as though an explosive is in the building. If you receive a bomb threat, call 911 (Police) immediately, and then Campus Security (250.807.8111)
If you receive a bomb threat by phone, follow these steps:
- Stay calm and speak to the caller with a pleasant tone. Let the caller know that you are willing to cooperate by listening to what they have to say. Ask the caller if there is anything you can do to help. Do NOT upset the caller. Keep the caller on the line.
- By indicating your willingness to cooperate, you may be able to keep the caller on the line for a longer duration so that you can ask the following questions:
- Where is the bomb?
- When is it going to go off?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What does it look like?
Permit the caller to say as much as possible without interruption.
- Take notes on everything said and on your observations about background noises, voice characteristics, language, etc.
- If the bomb threat is received via a UBC land line phone, record the phone number and the time that the call was received and notify Campus Security . Campus Security may be able to trace the call through UBC IT Services. Call 911 (Police) and Campus Security (250.807.8111) as soon as the threatening call has ended. If possible, get a co-worker to call emergency personnel while you continue to talking to the caller. The purpose of not disrupting the phone conversation is to assist in identifying or tracing the caller.
When there has been a bomb threat:
- Survey your immediate work area. If you see a package or a foreign object in an unusual place - don't touch it.
Call 911 (Police) and advise them of the details. You will be advised if evacuation is necessary. Follow instructions given by emergency personnel.
- An explosion of any type must be reported immediately to the Fire Department - call 911.
Last reviewed 10/23/2015 3:05:02 PM
|Fire, Ambulance, Police
|Emergency / First Aid / Security||250.807.8111|
|Risk Management Services||250.807.8111|
|Hazardous Materials Response||911|
|Poison Control Centre||1.800.567.8911|
See Phone Numbers for a complete listing.